Sunday, February 4, 2018

Ben's High Elves---Month #3 (194pts)

Here we go with month #3. I painted 5 Wardancers, a Bolt Thrower with 3 crew, and the standard for the guard unit I finished last month. This month was the fewest amount of figures I've painted in the challenge so far, yet they seemed to take more time than either of the previous months. Without further delay, here are some low quality pics of great figures with mediocre paint jobs.




I finished the standard of shame and it is now the standard of game!!! I counted the figure carrying it in last months total, so it counts for a whopping 14 points in this month's total. The banner is probably my favorite piece painted for the challenge so far.



Bolt Thrower brah. These guys were not part of my original plan but I snatched them off of eBay for $9 shipped. I couldn't let them languish unpainted in a bag next to other lead-filled bags in a box of more unpainted lead. 54 points plus 6 points for light armor for the crew equals 60 points!!!



I also managed to add my first unit of Wardancers. These prissy shit-kickers (20 points each) are armed with double handed weapons (2 points) and wear light armor (2 points). 120 points for 5 rank and file troops is almost enough to make the Chaos guys jealous.

In summary, we have the standard bearer (14 points), Bolt Thrower & Crew (60 points) and the Wardancers (120 points) for a grand total of 194 points for January. I have come to the realization that I have close to 100 infantry painted for my High Elf army including 2 Bolt Throwers and the super cool Elven Attack Chariot with only five cavalry painted. So next month will be an all cavalry month of some classic Citadel High Elves I've been wanting to paint forever.

Over the past month, I have had a couple of exceptionally pleasant experiences with two small hobby supply companies located right here in the US of A and very much want to share them in the hope that these places stay in business.

You might notice the large blotch of purple paint on my mat in the photos above. I spilled my beloved Coat d'Arms Poison Purple and quickly needed to find a replacement. Mark at Scale Creep Miniatures came to my aid quickly and economically as he is in the US somewhere like Illinois or one of those other bible thumpin' middle states. Their single paints are $2.75 and their color triads are $7.75, I'm pretty sure that is what I paid in 1989.

I was also in a bit of a jam with the banner, as it is a couple of plastic bits pinned to a metal figure. In my experience, these types of assemblies are fragile so I wanted to use a proper "plastic glue" to weld the plastic parts together. Competition Minis provided me with the proper glue as well the awesome Scale75 Inktensity set to paint it. They have the cheapest prices I could find for hobby supplies (Scale75 and Broken Toad to name two) and throw in free shipping at $50--hard to beat that deal with two sticks. They are located just outside the mecca of civilization known as Baltimore, MD and have never been robbed by Omar or drank with McNulty but they may have voted for Carcetti. Did I mention my order shipped the same day I ordered it?!?! I did not.

11 comments:

  1. They are really nice, Ben, not mediocre at all! And we with the Elven armies are kicking butt here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Ben! Those wardancers are great with a high elf take on them. Lissanne is right. High Elf armies are crushing it. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, 3rd edition. When high elves could dance to war too. Nice painting here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic work Ben...looking top shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, the banner looks fantastic. The army is really coming along, hopefully we can see all you've painted thus far in an update. Good to know about these two hobby companies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All very good, in particular the dancers. In my opinion just the stanstandbearer is too new and is not in armony with the rest of the army.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll post a group shot in February.

    ReplyDelete
  8. +1 for The Wire references, but mostly just Kudos for lovely looking minis!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog